|Prince Hall Masonic Temple
& Tabor Building
332-34 Auburn Avenue
Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic District
Original owner: Prince Hall Masons
Built: 1937-main; 1941-addition; John
Wesley Dobbs was Grand Master and raised the funds.
Architect: Charles Hopson and Ross Howard
Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival
Original Use: Built as a meeting place for the Prince
Hall Masons, Georgia's most influential black Masons Group.
Re-adaptive Use: Currently is the office of the SCLC
1871-The first Mason Lodge is organized
among African Americans in Atlanta. The St. James Lodge No.
4 F.& A.M. with Frances J. Peck, pastor of Big
Bethal A.M.E., as the worshipful master.
1937 - built by Atlanta's Black Masonic
lodge, headed by John Wesley Dobbs.
1950's - it was the home of WERD the
nation's first African American radio station, founded in
1960- Dr. Martin
Luther King, Jr. moved back to Atlanta, where as president
of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), he
headquartered the organization in this building and led a
national campaign to end segregation.; the Women's SCLC is
next door in the Tabor building.
The following is from the Atlanta Urban
Design Commission. Auburn Area Commercial District Design
Guidelines. (1990) by The National Main Street Center, Natural
Trust for Historic Preservation:
In Addition to the Prince Hall Masons and
the Odd Fellows, the Auburn area
boasted numerous other fraternal organizations that supported
the black business community. The 1945 city directory lists
27 of these organizations on Auburn Avenue, many of which
had their headquarters in the Prince Hall Masonic building.
Use browser Back Button to return to original